Making bitters is EASY, requiring only a little bit of time and patience. All in all the process will take anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks, though for most of that time you will be doing nothing but agitating your alcohol mixture once a day. Your bitters will display stronger and more pronounced flavors the longer you allow them to steep. Please note that higher proof spirits will accelerate infusion times. Also, you will be working with heat. Please keep your burner no higher than medium-low heat. This will help ensure no ingredients are burned. Caution! Keep alcohol away from open flame!
Please go to www.easyandcompany.com for more naked flavor suggestions and recipes, including recommended quantities for various flavoring agents.
- With a mortar & pestle (or other means of pulverization) crush the spice blend contained in BAG A.
- In a small, dry pan over medium-low heat, combine the crushed contents of BAG A with the bittering agents from BAG B. Toast ingredients, stirring occassionally, for 3-4 minutes. This "wakes up" the oils in the dry ingredients. You will notice a pleasant fragrance.
- Add toasted ingredients to Mason jar. Do not worry if ingredients are not yet cool.
- Add your chosen base flavoring agent to Mason jar, after crushing dried fruits, nuts, flowers, herbs, etc. as necessary. (The contents of the two bags and your chosen base flavoring agent forms the "mash," which imparts the bitters' flavors.)
- Add 200ml base-spirit alcohol to Mason jar, ensure jar is well sealed, and shake vigorously
- Mark the "shake me!" sticker and affix to the lid of the Mason jar. Allow to steep for at least 2 weeks, or as long as 6 weeks, shaking the jar vigorously at least once a day.
- Once your bitters have infused for 2 to 6 weeks, you are ready to finish your bitters. Add 200ml of water to a small pan. Using a fine mesh strainer, separate the mash from the alcohol mixture. Keep the alcohol mixture in a separate container, and add the mash to the pan with the water.
- Bring the mash and the water to a slight boil. Immediately reduce the heat to low and allow the mixture to simmer 3-4 minutes. This step extracts the remaining flavors from the mash and will intensify the bitters' flavors.
- Using the same fine mesh strainer, separate the mash from the steeping water. Add the steeped water mixture to the alcohol mixture, discarding the mash.
- In this critical step, you will accentuate the flavor of your bitters with the addition of sugar. In a small dry pan over medium-low heat, add 1/4 cup sugar and melt until light brown. It will take several minutes before the sugar begins to melt. Stir occasionally once melting has begun, being careful not to burn the sugar.
- When the sugar is liquified, SLOWLY add the sugar directly to the bitters mixture and allow to dissolve (often overnight). Stirring your mixture can accentuate the dissolving process. CAUTION: liquefied sugar is extremely hot!
- Once all your choice of sugar has been dissolved, line your fine mesh strainer with a provided filter and strain your bitters to clarify. Be patient, do not force the mixture through the filter; let it drip at its own pace so the remaining sediment and material in suspension is filtered out.
- If more clarity is desired, you may repeat Step 6 as many times as you would like. It helps to let your bitters settle between filtrations.
- With the provided funnel, transfer bitters to dropper bottles.
- Affix provided labels, and begin using your Easy & Company bitters in culinary and cocktail applications.